We are lucky to live within an hour’s drive of the ocean. Although we don’t get to the beach very often, when we do it always feels so wonderful to stand in front of the big wide ocean. Plus, my kids love playing in the sand, picking up seaweed, and searching for sea shells. To honor their interest in the ocean, we worked together on an ocean unit study to learn all sorts of amazing facts about the ocean and the animals that live there.
When I plan a unit study for my kids, I usually have several learning objectives in mind. Here are some of the content related learning objectives for our ocean unit:
- Kids will be able to recognize and identify a number of common ocean animals
- Kids will know the typical diet of several common ocean animals
- Kids will know the typical predators of several common ocean animals
- Kids will know a variety of strategies used by ocean animals to defend themselves against predators
- Kids will learn how ocean water is different than fresh water, specifically with regard to salt content and waves
If you are planning to do an ocean unit with your kids or students, the resources and ideas below should help make your ocean unit a success!
Your ocean unit will be enhanced by including some ocean animal figurines. We own and used both the Ocean TOOB from Safari Ltd and the Under The Sea! Plastic Sea Life Creatures from Fun Express. We also own a variety of other ocean-themed materials that complemented our ocean unit.
Below are links to all of the posts describing activities we have done to learn about the ocean and its inhabitants. Click an image to be taken directly to the post sharing the activity.
Ocean activities for kids
Ocean printables for kids
More ocean resources
For more ocean activities, follow me on Pinterest!