Can you believe that despite years of crafting I had never used Mod Podge until we did this Christmas craft? My kids got some Mod Podge as part of a gift exchange and we decided to put it to the test by building a yarn and Mod Podge Christmas tree craft for the holidays.
Note: For more Christmas activities your kids will love, see my Christmas Activities for Kids page.
To make a yarn and Mod Podge Christmas tree, you will need the following materials:
- Cardboard cone (this tall one is similar to what we used, but I like the price of these shorter ones for groups of kids)
- Plastic wrap
- Mod Podge (if you don’t have Mod Podge, a mixture of glue and water would probably work too)
- Paint brush to apply the Mod Podge
- Green yarn
- Optional: string of mini Christmas lights (we picked ours up at the dollar store) or other holiday decorations
We started by wrapping our cardboard cone in plastic wrap.
Then we began wrapping the yarn around the cone, applying Mod Podge with a paint brush to get the yarn to stay in place.
We continued wrapping the yarn around until a very nice, thick base for our Christmas tree was formed. The entire time, we used the brush to apply a very liberal coat of Mod Podge to the yarn.
We let the tree dry overnight.
Once dry, we pulled the tree – along with the plastic wrap – right off the cone. Thanks to all the Mod Podge, the tree was now stiff enough to stand on its own.
And then this is where the fun begins! Add any decorations you like to your tree. We had a string of plastic lights that we wrapped around the tree.
But you could also apply stickers or use a hot glue gun to add jingle bells. The only limit is your imagination!
XGirl added some sparkly jewels to her Christmas tree, shown below.
What will you add to yours?
More Christmas resources
More Christmas crafts from Gift of Curiosity:
- Q-tip painted Christmas tree
- Paper plate reindeer craft
- Christmas tree ribbon craft
- Cinnamon Christmas ornaments
- DIY Christmas snow globes
- Sand-filled Christmas ornaments
- Fine motor Christmas craft
- Gingerbread man craft
Products mentioned in this post: